Vacation update 7/9 – A lot of little
Man that was nice having a full week off. Even better I only had to take 4 vacation days to get 5 and two full weekends! (Kids – you’ll appreciate that comment in a few years).
Nothing crazy to report on the WoW front – I had few extended play sessions. I did do a lot of little things though:
- I put a lot of thought into my priorities to help guide my gameplay. I think that is an upcoming post, but I decided my number 1 priority is the lvl 300 flying skill so I can start my epic flight form questline. So I’m blowing through quests, mainly in Netherstorm, to get money. I’m also mining anything and everything I can.
- I tried an experiment sending two stacks of Adamantite Ore to a guild jewelcrafter for prospecting. I need money right? The reason ore is selling so high is for the prospecting, right? Maybe I should just have my ore prospected? Well, two stacks of prospected ore later – guess what? The gems that come out of the ore almost exactly match in value, the stacks of ore themselves. A little thing called “game balance”. Where you can make your money though, is having that same JC cut your gems into the best selling cut they can make for the particular gems. Then, you can definitely make more than you would with just your ore stacks.
- I came very close to dropping skinning, and at this point I think it’s just a matter of time before I do. Why? Again, money! Leather stacks have really dropped in price on my server, but herbs continue to retain their value. They even seem to have gone up a bit (in some cases a lot) after the elixir nerf. Yes, skins are plentiful, but herbs are fairly plentiful also. Why should I continue to get only around 5-7G per stack of Knothide Leather when simple Dreaming Glory is going for well over 15G in some cases. It also seems like the quests I am doing at the moment do not involve creatures, so unless I’m specifically farming for leather or happen across corpses, I’ve got no leather to sell, whereas herbs are everywhere. I was doing some quests on The Barrier Hills and ran across 4-5 spawns of Mana Thistle. That would have been at least half a stack of something that is selling for over 20G on my server. I hate to think about grinding yet another profession back up (and dealing with two gathering skills at once), but I’m really feeling like I can’t pass up the money.
- Had the worst ever instance run of my life in Botanica. It was my first time in there, and to be honest – the first time for everyone in our group, but we had a solid group, were on vent and were cutting through trash mobs like butter. Heck, the first boss Commander Sarannis went down without us even breaking a sweat. We make our way to the second boss, High Botanist Frewynn, then things went bad in a hurry. Long story short – about 5 wipes until we decided to move on only to have the next guy spank us badly too. Yes, we had wowwiki up for strategy hints. The thing with the Botanist is that he just seemed to get way too much health back while we were killing the treant adds. We poisoned him, drew the adds away, burned them down (I thought) pretty quickly, but by the time we got back to the boss, it seemed like just a few seconds and he was channeling Tranquility again. Not sure what to do there and if anyone had mastered this encounter (with suggestions other than wowwiki) I’d love to hear how you did it.
- Didn’t get into Kara yet and this was my one big disappointment. I really wanted to at least take a look. No runs posted on the guild website through Wednesday night. Then I log on Thursday and see a run going. Check the guild website and sure enough there are a couple runs posted, but they’re all full. Arrghhh!
So, that’s about it. Nothing great, just a lot of questing and trying to gather money. I have a long way to go (currently at around 1500G), but now that I have a goal I can really focus on it for a while.
Oh, and I also got the gem section of the Buffing Up page half done, and hope to finish it and post it later this week. It doesn’t look like you all are hitting the enchantment links very much, so maybe this section isn’t useful, but I’m going to finish it out anyway. If it’s missing something, or needs changed in some way to be more useful, let me know and if I can I’ll get the changes up.